Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Charleston Weekend

I'm Back!!! We had a great time, lots of shopping, site
seeing, people watching and just enjoying some beautiful
warm weather. I just thought I would show a few pictures
of one of the places we visited. This is the Calhoun Mansion.
They have filmed three different movies at this house. The
last one was The Notebook also North and South and Scarlett.
The house was built in 1870 for $200,000.00, by a wealthy
Gentleman that was in the shipping business.
This is the entry into the house, beautiful lead glass
windows, with a rope design around them. The rope
design was to show the wealth of the family. The inlay
on the floor also had the rope design.
Again the rope design around the outside of the door as
well as around the outside window.
The entire downstairs had these beautiful handmade
hinges.
The ceiling was painted by Tiffany and this is also one
of several of the chandeliers he made for the home.
This is as far as I was able to take pictures of the interior
of the house but it was decorated entirely in Victorian
decor.
Marble front porch.
A view into the side garden.
A view over the railing at the front of the house.
A pathway leading to the garden.
A view in to dining room. Thirty five fire places.
A view of the piazza.
I could sip some tea here.
One of the statues surrounded by shrubs.
One of the ponds. If I remember correctly there were four.
I need to start digging to catch up, I only have two!!!
A beautiful goldfish pond. One of two.
My favorite!!!!!
Another hidden path. It's just amazing how much
beauty they were able to create in such a small space.
The most amazing thing to me was that this is actually
a family home, after hours they have two dogs that
roam the house and I can't remember, but I
remember the guide saying one cat, may have
been two. And this is the best, one lady cleans
this jewel.
Hope you enjoyed, see everyone Thursday.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Thanks for the wonderful tour. I've never been to Charleston, but it's on my wish list. I'll be sure and visit this house when I go.
D