Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Rich Colors of Fall

It's Monday and that means its time for Thrifty Treasures at Rhoda's and Metamorphosis Monday at Susan's. Thanks to both these ladies for hosting these events. I have already started to get my house ready for fall. I know it sounds a little early but we have already had some temps at night in the 50's, and I am already cleaning the dreaded brown leaves off my deck. As usual I have started in my dining room making the transformation. It's one of the easiest rooms in my house to do and is usually the cleanest. For a dining room it's much larger than most, so its really fun to work with. This was my look for the summer, lots of light, bright fabrics. No rugs on the floor, dressed for the summer and easy cleanup. So here we are dressed for the fall and winter. Lots and lots of burgandy and golds. This makes it very easy for me to take this room from fall into the Christams Season and well into Valentine Day. And to be honest these are some of my favorite colors. I have a fruit theme going on in this room through the Holidays, it's very nice especially at Christmas. You can see the large portriats on the wall these are all family members. The desk is great for storage (as you can see). I never have to worry about it blowing away.
I've added a chair with a pillow and throw and well as
the wine rack.
The throw is a thrifty find, $1.00 at the thrift store
and fit right into this room.
The pillow is one of two in the room and I found
them last year at a garage sale for .50 each
The setee has been replaced with my Grandparents
desk. The French picture hanging above the setee has also
been replaced with one of fruit.
A night view.
This is a small round tray table I found at an antique
store for $8.00. It's great you can change the trays if
you have extra ones and use it for numerous
occassions. I have a try with fruit on it at the moment.
The little wine rack was a thrift store find at $1.00.
A summer wall.
And now the brothers are ready to take charge.
Again more family members.
A thrifty find for $5.00, bamboo rug with a brown boarder.
After a .50 roll of ribbon from the thrift store, glue gun
and a little cutting.
And there she be, perfect match.
My hibiscous tree, she loves this room, lots of light
in the winter.
Just wait until you see her at Christamas.
Notice the white drapping on the window for summer.
The window is now dressed in burgandy.
And last but not least, the decorative iron above the
light was a yard sale find, $3.00. It's suppose to hang on the wall, but me being me, thought it sould hang
on the ceiling.
Well after must explaining to DH and after I told him
how great it would be to look up and see this instead of
some old thing you could just go to Lowes and buy.
Well then there were the sparkes that were flying
(from the wiring), and the sparkes that were flying
(from DH mounth about my ideals, imagine that).
We will be putting up more, trust me.
Well I hope you enjoyed my fall changes. There will be
many more to come.
I will see everyone Tuesday for The Let There Be White
Tablescape Party.
Have a great Monday and be sure to stop by Between Naps
On The Porch and Southern Hospitality.
Feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or question.
I am slowly getting around to everyone.

10 comments:

stefanie said...

wow, you are on the ball, your fall decor looks beautiful

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sandy...Just beautiful loved it all...And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has a "fog the Air with with mouth Hubby" I hate to even ask me some times to do things and only when I can't ha ha!! Happy Monday to you my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks great and you got some real good deals. I like Fall, but not what follows, so not ready for Fall right now. Looked for a panel for my sliding door for Winter the other day to replace the white sheer, but did not find what I wanted.

Michelle said...

LOVE...LOVE...LOVE the decorative iron accenting the light fixture. How perfect is that! Great idea!!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I love all your warm and cozy fall look. Love the iron piece hanging on the ceiling. I love anything uniuqe and different. Great post... Happy MM... hugs ~lynne~

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Sandy, It's so nice to meet you. I really like the ceiling medallion you created above your light fixfure. So creative.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Its So Very Cheri said...

It looks wonderful. I love your 2 round ottomans.

I hope you will come over and check out this weeks Knock off and I bet you have some things you could post to the KNOCK OFF KNOCK OUT Party.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

It looks great! Love the photo of the brothers. My grandmother had a photo like that hanging in her living room and I dont know what happened to it. I would love to have it though.

ImagineCozy said...

The ornamental iron on the ceiling is such a creative idea. Very nice.
Your dining room has such a cozy feel.
-Angela

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I love, love, love the iron piece on your ceiling chandy.