Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Asian Inspired

Come with me while I enjoy the fun at, two
parties today.
is hosting 2nd Time Around Tuesday and
is hosting Tabletop Tuesday.
Thanks Diane and Barb
This is my library table in my living room,
I have had it for many years, I've used it a
number of different rooms, from the bedroom
to the dinning room. I now have it in my
living room, using it for my personal desk for
writing cards, ect. Most of the items on it are
vintage and were either a gift, a thrift store
or antique store find. Several of the Asian items
came from a dear friend, who is now gone, but
not forgotten. She was a professor of Asian
history. I love keeping these things out
where I can see them, and remembering the
stories she told of her travels.
The clock was a gift from my Dad, he bought it
at an action several years before he passed.
After he had made the repairs, he had it
waiting for me, when I visited one weekend.
The lamp I bought at an antique store last
year, it was made from a tea container, a big
$2.00 purchase.
The letter opener is bamboo, letter opener and
binder both belonged to my friend.
I still have hand written notes belonging to her.
A few antique books and my dogie paper weight. My old $4.00 typewriter from the thrift store
A yard sale picture frame with my
Grandparents, in their younger days.
A small dictionary my Grandfather always
carried in his pocket, with a few other little
books.
A closer look at the tea canister.
Sorry for the bad picture!
A picture of my Grandmothers desk in my
dining room, holding a Asian chest. I store
my china, chopsticks, rice bowls, ect. in it.
This was a Family Dollar Store find, last
summer.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope I didn't bore
you to much.
Bye For Now,

23 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What beautiful vignettes. They look gorgeous. I love the mix of different items and the semetry is just wonderful. Very well done. Hugs, Marty

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What beautiful vignettes! The items on your library table are so pretty. Love that lamp made from a tea tin!

Manuela

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Very pretty vignettes. I love the tea cannister. Thanks for sharing!

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Sandy - this post is the exact reason I created Tabletop Tuesday. So we could all get a personal and up-close glimpse of the smaller things that might get lost in a different post. I heart that typewriter. I wrote my very first stories which I sold when I was a young wife. Such memories, I love the story about your clock. Thanks again for joining in the very first Tabletop Tuesday, and I hope to see you each week. Hugs, Barb

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love that lamp and how sweet that you have the items from your friend, even her notes...Lovely display

Melissa Miller said...

Gorgeous vignettes Sandy!

I absolutly love the stunning gold picture frame. How nice to have your grandparents photo displayed.

~Lovely job. ~Melissa :)

Janean said...

i like the different and interesting things that make great conversation starters!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Bored? Oh, no! These are so very interesting! I really like the way you have so many memories displayed so you can see them often. Great vignette!

Katherine

Unknown said...

Everything looks just beautiful. I especially like the treasures from your family.
Thanks for sharing.

Charla

Unknown said...

I love your beautiful display, thank you for sharing their "stories" I enjoy hearing why an item has a special meaning. See you next week.

Kathysue said...

I love your vignettes they truely tell a story. Each piece is interesting in of itself and together it is wonderful. I always love a touch of Asian in rooms,you are so lucky to have these interesting pieces. kathysue

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Very pretty, so warm and inviting! Cindy

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

This is beautiful....sentimental is my favorite thing to have out....sweet memories...

Beautiful vignette.

Lou Cinda

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sandy...

Ohhh...I just adore your little table and you've decorated it beautifully! I love that some of your favorite things are found here! The clock that your father repaired and gave to you is just gorgeous!!! Ohhh...and I love the old dictionary that your grandfather always carried in his pocket...what a sweet memory! I also really enjoyed seeing some of your dear friend's keepsakes...the letter opener and journal are beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing your grandmother's desk with us as well...the asian trunk is gorgeous!!! Well my friend, you have some really beautiful treasures here...so sweet to surround yourself with so many precious memories!!! Those make the best vignettes!!!

Warmest winter wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

mustard seeds said...

So pretty, and I'm drooling over your typewriter.

my home sanctuary said...

Oh I loved the little tour. All your little vignettes are so pretty. And I have to stay and look at your tablescapes I could see on the sidebar. Come over and see me and check out my Tuesday Trade Day. Maybe we can trade.
Have a great week,
Sherry

Denise Marie said...

very nice. I have a really nice piece of scrapbook paper that looks like your beautiful blog background. I can't believe you got that at Family Dollar.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Those are some great objects. I love the picture frame. Great find!

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

You have some nice collections and all displayed beautifully. Love the lamp.

Anonymous said...

I do love the click clacking sound that an old typewriter makes!! Your table is so sweet- Very pretty
blessings
mary

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love this vignette! So very pretty from the books to the typewriter. It just all fits so well!

Jeanette said...

Lovely just lovely

Just thought I would let you know.
We are having a just because giveaway
$50 gift certificate.
No need to folllow or twiiter, or blog, just say what you think you might like and leave a comment.

http://gafoodies.blogspot.com/

Magic Brush said...

I love the frame with an old shot of your grandparents. I have one similar. I just love the old shots. So sweet!!! Very nice arrangements!