Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

An All Grown Up Christmas Tablescape

It's that time of the week again, time for the CIJ Tablescape
party. Please be sure to visit Felicia at Playing With Dishes and
all the other participants for some really great eye candy.
This is my version of an all grown up Christmas tablescape. The biggest reason for the black, white and silver is, I have yet to make it to the attic. So I am using what I can come up with in the house, most of all my imagination, which is a scary thing to even begin with. I started with several layers of white table clothes, the last two being lace. Then pulled out my silver chargers, black dinner plates that I have had for several years added a white bread plate with a black salad bowl. The silverware is once again my mismatched antique silver. All the serving pieces are silver as well (and tarnished). I have used my silver Christmas tree salt and pepper shakers, and the gift boxes are all silver, black and white. I used white candles and the glass ware is silver and crystal. So please join me for, An All Grown Up Christmas Dinner. Don't forget to take a gift before you leave, take your pick.
Sure, it's fine to take off your hat.
And your gloves.
Yes, it's a feather topiary as my center piece, (do I even
need to tell you what my family said when I came up
with this one).
The napkins are white with silver napkin rings. And under
the napkin....
A sweet little desert cup. I bought these desert cups while
living in Charleston from a co-worker who was still living
in the same house her family had lived in for generations.
It was a beautiful old plantation style house on the Ashley
River and she told me that her great Grandfather had owned
several hundred acres in the area at one time. She was selling
the house and land because of the upkeep. I was able to buy
several pieces from her, and I cherish each and everyone of
them. She told me she remembered her Grandmother using
these little cups for nuts when she played cards with her friends.
Well I'm still waiting on that Butler to come!!!
I hope you enjoyed our little dinner and will visit again soon.
Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion.

8 comments:

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Wow that is one very dramatic tablescape!!! I loved it. You must have had a ball putting it all together, great job, xoxo~Kathy@ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Kathleen said...

Well, when the butler finishes there, send him here!
Great Christmas table..I think it would be good for New Years too!
I'll put mine up this weekend, so many events!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Now this is just toooooo cute and fun. I love how dramatic and whimsical it is at the same time. Just gorgeous. I love it all. Hugs, Marty

Bill said...

I'm so glad you never made it to the attic! Your black and silver 'scape is so striking ... so sophisticated! I think it's dazzling. I loved reading about the little cups you bought in Charleston. It's nice when we acquire special things with special stories.

Hope your weekend goes well!

Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Beautiful! Looks so elegant! Would totally work for New Year's Eve too. Love your little touches with the gifts, hats, gloves, etc!

DD

Chandy said...

What a great table for adults! Lovely details...

Printersdevil said...

Oh Sandy, I love your table. I am glad that you didn't make it to the attic! This is so dramatic and elegant. I think we all need to start thinking outside the box. I love the touch of adding the gloves and hats. I agree about it being a great New Year's table too, but what about Oscar Night? Thanks for attending.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a neat tablescape! Love the drama of it all!