Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Black and White Redo

It' Monday and time for Metamorphosis Monday
hosted by Susan at Between Naps On The Porch
and Today's Thrifty Treasures hosted by Rhoda
at Southern Hospitality. Be be sure to stop by
each of these sites for great ideals and
inspiration, you won't be disappointed.
A big Thanks to both our host.
As I told you last week I decided to redecorate my
family room. For some reason I have been wanting
a black and white room, but not to contemporary.
Then I have been watching the news and hearing
about all the problems people are having even
keeping their homes. Along with watching planet
green I started to think. So I challenged myself, the
challenge was if I wanted to redecorate I had to use all
recycled things or at least make it a goal to use at least
80% recycled things. So here is my attempt to this point.
I got these lamp shades at GW for .50 each. The material is from an old ugly dress torn apart, a thrift store find. I got it in the same bag sale as my belts from last weeks post. Then I found this trim at the thrift store on another visit, it was .50 for the roll. So here is the finished lamp shade, the lamp I already had. I have two of these lamps and shades, so they might go on the piano. This photo subject to change. So then I had to start thinking about art.
See the eagle mirror and the flower picture that used
to look like this in my dining room?
Mr. eagle now looks like this. The eagle frame was a thrift
store find at .45, I had the old mirror that was a perfect fit.
The picture of flowers now, this was a yard sale find, I
think I paid $1.00. The picture of the house above is
one of my favorite finds at the thrift store .50, and a
little black paint to tone down the gold frame. The
candle holders that I have shown previously they
were.25 each, and you can see the top of my black
chairs from last week. The chairs were freebie's from
my Mother, no bottoms in them. They are very sturdy
and comfortable with the belts on them.
Bad Photograph, but this was a freebie, one of my friends
was redecorating and getting rid of it. I gave the frame a
little black paint and its ready to go. I hope you have
enjoyed my progress so far and will join me again for
the next installment of A Black and White Redo. I have no
ideal where I'm going from here! Be scared!!!!
Please leave a comment, suggestion or question I love
hearing from each and everyone of you.

12 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love all the wonderful GW finds and the black and white is turning out great. It's amazing what a little paint will do. Looks super. Hugs, Marty

Roeshel said...

Great finds - your lamp makeover is beautiful and I love everything in black - so bold! :) Great job!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Great GW finds and redo's!

Michelle said...

Love the flower picture and the frame is so nice!

Great finds!

Unknown said...

Your transformations are terrific! Bravo for thinking about recycling and repurposing! The lamp shade came out fabulous! All your decorating came out so lovely! Great job!

Tina

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You got some great deals! I have been using my black spray paint a little more lately. :) Looking forward to seeing what all you do.
Glenda

Lynn said...

I don't think you need any suggestions! You seem to be doing great there on your own! Keep going in the same vein!

Kammy said...

I love that you got most of your stuff at great prices ! It is fun to update and re-arrange...
Hugs ~ Kammy

Brenda Pruitt said...

Honey, you are indeed thinking outside the box! As we all should be doing, trying to go "green." You used your creativity and came out with something beautiful! Pat yourself on the back, girl!
Brenda

Lamp Tramp said...

The lamp makeover is beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Marie said...

Hello Sandy - thank you for sharing all your great finds! I love that eagle frame - painted black looks fabulous! And you did a lovely job on the lamp make-over.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

★Carol★ said...

Great finds, great deals, and great transformations! I love the frame on that floral picture!