Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

An 80's Makeover

Be sure to stop by Susan's at Between Naps On The Porch
for Metamorphosis Monday and Rhoda at Southern Hospitality
for some great ideals, thank you both for hosting these
parties.
Now really, can we say ugly?? I remember seeing these
things in every one's house in the 80's. But as I remember
they looked good. Remember the blue and mauve?
This was my $1.00 find at the thrift store this week.
Now trust me, I really thought about bringing this
home! But a little black paint later.
Not to bad, works well for a summer
fireplace screen in my library/music room. It lets just
enough of the candle light shine through.
I found two of these, they were .25 each at the thrift store. I forgot to take a before picture, but really all I did was give them a light coat of black paint, clean the globes and add a couple candles. I will be using them in my family room which I hope to show you in a couple of weeks, its getting a little face lift. Thanks everyone for stopping by, Please don't forget to leave a comment or suggestion.

13 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

They fan and the sconces both look fabulous. Isn't it amazing what a little paint does to transform something. Makes a huge different. Great finds. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

That is beautiful! I think the black is very dramatic. It really looks great.

~Liz

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I think that looks fantastic. Great thinking out of the box!

Sarah said...

I love those sconces! I bet they look pretty when those candles are lit. :)

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Cute re-do's! That poor fan just needed someone to love it...!!!

abeachcottage said...

wow what a great makeover on the fan, it looks soooo different!

happy met monday

Sarah

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Wow... a little black paint indeed! What a stunning fan after the fact. Before it was horrible. Really nice job!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Those are both great finds! I can't believe the sconces were only .25 cents each! You couldn't pass up that deal! Looks great.
Blessings,
Traci

GranthamLynn said...

Wow how thrifty and what fabulous makeovers. Thanks for sharing.
Have a great week.
Sherry

g.suzie said...

Wow, you got a steal on those things, and great what you've done to transform them. Have a great day!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Very creative. I would have never picked one of those up and thought to make a fireplace screen.
I hope you will come see me for my give away
Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Sandy,
It's so nice to meet you! Thank you very much for the kind visit to my blog. I really appreciate it. I hope to see you again soon. You're always welcome!

What an amzing transformation on the screen. It really looks gorgeous!

Have a blessed day.
~Warmly, Melissa ;)

Kammy said...

Hi Sandy !
Sorry, I am so late to see your post - between both sites - there are about 200 people, WOW !
You are right that fan was UGLY UGLY UGLY - love the black and now it is FAB !
Hugs ~ Kammy