Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Triple Post

I would like to thank both our hosts for these parties, and
remind everyone to visit and get some really great ideals.
I am also going to try and answer a few questions or show a
picture, since I have been bad and not answered questions
individually, I don't know where my time goes. I would also
like to Thank everyone for your gracious and kind comments
and all your encouragement it means the world to me!!!
This is a full view of the pepper grinder I used on my
Tuscany tablescape.
I had several people commenting on my cloche, they
thought it might be an antique because of the air
bubbles in it. It's not!!! I bought it several years ago
at Big Lots.
This is a larger picture of my wine rack. Yes it is shaped
like a cello, it holds ten bottles of wine. It was a gift
from my DH a couple of years ago for Valentines Day.
As you can tell I like unusual stuff, and take my word
for it you will be seeing more!! Once again Thank You
for your interest.
Now for my first Thrifty find. I have no ideal what this is.
I found it at the thrift store for .50 and just couldn't pass
it up. Looks like it may have been some sort of drying rack.
After a few new spindles on the bottom and a little stain,
not to bad. But the question will be asked, (what is that
thing)?
Well it could hold extra dishes and linens.
Let me think of something else I could do with it.
My next find was a .25 tassel. Way to plain for me!!!
See I told you I knew what this thing was. Simple, it holds
guest towels .
Now I can live with this tassel.
I know I said last Sunday I would show you the completed
facelift to one of my guest bathrooms. But as construction
goes, it didn't all go this week. So I am going to show you a
sneak peek, at some of whats gone on. So here we go!!!
This was the beautiful stick on tile we had before!!!
Sorry I didn't mean to hurt your eyes twice.
This is what I am living with now.
This my dear friends is the cottage cheese off the ceiling.
And if you think this is ugly, you would not have wanted
to see me, because I was the scrapper, sander and painter.
The plain white textured wall.
Same wall with some bead board and my surprise
piece for the room. You will find a surprise peice in every
room in my house. You can still see a little piece of the green
floor in the background. I love the contrast between all the
white and the antique chest. I changed the knobs from the
original wooden knobs the chrome and white. The chest
recieved a very light sanding, then staining. I failed to get a
picture of the old vanity, but next week you will know what it
lookied like when I show you a picture of the lighting, it all
matched, in the 70's. I hope you have enjoyed your visit and
will come back soon. Please leave a comment, and I will see
everyone at Barb's Tuesday!!!

18 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You have some really great things. YOur tablescape was so interesting and your pepper grinder and wine rack are just gorgeous. I love the drying rack. I think my aunt use to have something similar that she put in the back porch and everyone put their snow boots on it. She had a pan underneath to catch the drips. Hats and gloves were draped over the top rung. Anyway, yours is sensational as a rack to hold guest towels in the bathroom. I love it. Great job . Hugs, Marty

★Carol★ said...

I love when people use an old piece of furniture in place of the standard vanities that anyone can buy. Yours looks amazing! I don't know what that wood thing is that you bought, but it looks like you've got a couple of ideas for it anyway!

Karen said...

I know what it is! I think. It is a stand that you hang the foldable dinner trays on it. Like this:
http://shop.visiondecor.com/set-of-4-solid-wood-tv-dinner-tray-tables-with-stand-4199.html
But I love what you've done with it...I never should have thrown mine away!
Karen
http://Savingthefamilymoney.com

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very nice finds! Love your bathroom makeover too.

Blue Creek Home said...

Great make-overs. I love what you did with the mystery piece!
Rhonda

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

I can't believe you found that great cloche at Big Lots!!!!That is sooo cute..xoxo~Kathy-Up-North.

Unknown said...

Great finds! I love the towel rack, it came out fabulous! Your vanity looks so great!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sandy! You do have an eye for the unusual! I love the end result of your thingamabob! It turned out to be a cute guest towel stand! My daughter and sil have a dog named Copper who looks a lot like your Copper! Have a great week!...Debbie

Shirley said...

WOW, you are brave scrapping all that texture "cottage cheese" stuff off the ceiling! Hope you were wearing a hat and a mask!!! : )) I have that darn stuff here too but I'm not tackling it myself! Love that little chest. Great touch.
Shirley

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE chest of drawers as sink cabinets!

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Great job on repurposing the...whateveritis...looks great with the towels. You're bathroom redo looks like it will be beautiful when finished.

Mary said...

I love the vintage dresser as a bathroom vanity, and all of your other finds are great! :O)

Nicole A. said...

Awesome finds! Lovin you bathroom makeover and can't wait to see it when it's done!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting and fun wine rack! Thanks for sharing all of your treasures...

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Love the rack with the red & white towels. And the tassel does look better with the addition of the red.

Courtney said...

I absolutely love what you did with that rack! I'm getting such good ideas from all you creative gals!
Blessings!

Christina said...

Love the drying stand/towel stand. That is truly unique and you came up with some great ideas for it.

kate said...

Hi great post, I have taken over Tea Time Tuesday for Barb while she is busy, it will be next tues
July 7th, hope to see you there
kate