Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Country Dinner With Roosters

It's Thursday and time for Tablescape Thursday.
A big "Thank You" to Susan at Between Naps On The Porch
for hosting this event. Be sure to hop over to Susan's for all
beautiful tablescapes you will find there.
In honor of Fridays Rooster Party,
guess what I am incorporating into my tablescape?
You guessed it, Roosters.
Soooo here we go......
Well tonight we are having a simple country dinner.
Our food will be served from cast iron cookware, and
our place settings will be mixed and matched.
After all this is a country dinner in front of the
hearth.
The center piece is a bunch of sun flowers, I used blue
candles and my Great Grandmothers oil lamp.
My candle holders are all different, the blue and white
belonged to my Grandmother, and the other two are old
electrical insulators.
I have Rooster pot holders around the handles of the
cast iron pots, we must remember they are hot
when they come from the fire.
You can see the antique bottles. Each place setting has its own rooster.
A closer look at my Grandmothers candlestick, there are
no markings on it.
Rooster salt and pepper shakers.
The stand by iced tea glasses and just some everyday
glasses from a yard sale. I think they are old jelly glasses.
For the place setting, the desert cups are a thrift store
find, I found six for .50 each. The napkins are
dish towels I found two for .49, cut them in the middle
then you hem the end and a you have a country
napkin or at least my version. The place mat is actually
the napkin, just not today.
The blue salad plate is a discount store find.
Trusty Dollar Store flatware in blue.
And Mr. Rooster is from the Dollar Tree.
One last look before we eat. Oh look in the background, I see roosters and chickens
on the pillows.
My Mother made me these pillows a couple of
years ago.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed yourself.
Please feel free to leave a comment, suggestion
or question . I love hearing from everyone, and I
doing my best to reply to everyone.
My life is a little crazy right now. School
started today for my youngest, Cross Country
meets start tomorrow, my Mother has
moved back to her house in SC for the winter,
so I am now taking care of two houses.
Oh and lets not forget about the yard
work on two homes.
I just Thank the Lord everyday for my DH,
he is always ready to jump in and help.
And I am very blessed to have him.
I will see everyone tomorrow for
The Rooster Party.

16 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great tablescape. I love the roosters. The plates with the roosters are so pretty and all of the colors are great together. How nice to have some favorite familey heirlooms. They are wonderful. Hugs, Marty

susan said...

I love this! I bet people did eat straight from the cast iron at some point! I think everyone in Blogland is itching for fall!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Fun roosters! Love the plate from dollar tree!

KBeau said...

Looks like lots of people are doing roosters this week. That's fine with me, because I love roosters.

ellen b said...

Sandy...what fun your tablescapes and colors are. I know the hard work it takes to care for two homes...
Blessings...

Eileen said...

I also did a rooster tablescape.
Yours is so pretty!
'Hope all goes well with school starting!
All the best,
Eileen

Michelle said...

I love all your little rooster on the table..so cute! And the rooster plate is wonderful!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing. Loved seeing your roosters. Great plate from Dollar Tree!

Hope to see you at Hyacinth For The Soul for some more rooster fun!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

This table is just too darn cute! A very fun tablescape.

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a wonderful idea about the dish towels! Cut in half and make napkins! I'm remembering that one. This is so pretty in the candlelight!
Brenda

nannykim said...

Nice and homey. We often eat in front of our fireplace too!

ps. I have several blogs--the one for my tablescape is the spindle cottage one;

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Very pretty with the sunflowers and the blue coloured dishes! Fall sure can be a busy time, can't it! Make sure you take time for more wonderful tablescapes!

DD

Unknown said...

Oh blue and roosters! can't miss with that combo!

~Liz

Kathleen said...

Fun table!
Love the little rooster at each plate too!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Couldn't leave without looking at your tablescape! This is very pretty! Lots of cute roosters here too!

Katherine

Cass @ That Old House said...

Charming, home-y tablescape. Love it! And I really like how you used the towels for napkins, modifying them -- GREAT idea. They look wonderful, and they fit the table so well. I may steal this idea!
Cass