Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chili Night

It' time for tablescape Thursday!
Be sure to stop by Susan's at
to see all the inspiration there
from all 0f today's
participants.
For the last four years I have had
Chili Night at my house.
It's a night where DH makes a
couple huge pots of chili and I
just have the girls over for food
and fun. Everyone brings their
children and through the years
we have had all ages, from babies
to teenagers. There have been as
many as fourteen people here and
of course the we girls tend to sit
around the dining room table and
do our giggling, and the kids tend
to go there way for their chit chat.
So tonight you will see three
tablescapes, one for us girls, I
have a table set for the teens and
one for the little guys. So follow
me and lets get ready to have
FUN!!!!
I have the dining room set for us Big kids.
My inspiration came from the bowls I am
using, but first lets start with the center
piece. I have a little orange basket holding
pine cones and sun flowers, orange candles,
a burlap pumpkin laying in a copper bowl.
I used orange, gold and brown as my color
scheme. I started with a brown tablecloth
and layered from there.
I added a little Welcome for everyone.
We also have copper salt and pepper shakers. And Mr. Rooster with a few chilies. And why a Rooster you ask? Just keep going! This bowl was my inspiration for all three tables. This is one side, and....
This is the other!!!
My place setting for the big girls.
The bowls are from TJ Maxx.
The smaller plate under is from a
set of diner dishes I have, the gold
you have saw many times. I used
gold flatware, a straw place mat
and two glasses for this table, one
for wine the other for sweet tea.
No napkin rings, napkins were simply
placed in the wine glass.
Now lets move into the kitchen and
into the breakfast area. I think the
older kids will be happy here. I used
the same color scheme and the same
element for the centerpiece. You can
see we have another rooster, our
sunflowers and pine cones.
You can see the straw serving tray
here, holding part of the center piece.
A copper dish holding our candle.
Another burlap pumpkin laying
in more copper.
Same colors being used in
our place settings but in a
different way. Gold place mats,
I used the same gold flatware
and diner dishes, then used
the orange in the middle for
desert. The brown napkins were
placed under the desert plates.
My everyday tea glasses are
just coated with an orange
sugar coating around the
rime just like I did the white
last week. This allowed me
to have somewhat coordinating
glasses.
Hungry yet?
We still have to get the little
guys taken care of.
So lets go!!!
I thought this smaller
table would be a good fit
for these guys. They could eat
then play a few games or watch
some TV.
I started with a brown table
cloth, gold material running
across the table to define the
place setting.
We have a rooster holding a
Welcome, more pine cones and a
huge sunflower, you can also
see the wooden primitive rooster
on the table, but there are
a few differences.
Want to see?
Follow me....
Our place setting, you will see
some of the same elements, but
we have an orange plastic chili
bowl. Little guys need sugared
orange glasses tooo...
Remember make them
feel special , but, safety first!
The candles on this table are
battery operated. I simply
put orange tissue paper around
them to cover the white then
tied with raffia.
A final look and we can head back
to the dining room to eat!!
Wish everyone could be hear with us
because you would be guaranteed
to have a great time!! Oh and before I forget, this
year we are adding a little surprise
Birthday Party to the night!!!
Well time to go!
Don't forget to let me know
what you think about our
little tradition. I love hearing
from you.
Bye For Now,
Sandy

19 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Sandy this is all so beautiful!

You are a talented tablescaper! Love your gorgeous dishes and colorful bowls. It's all very elegant and lovely.

Chili is just the BEST isn't it?

Have a wonderful Halloween my friend. ~Melissa :)

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sandy, girl everyone of them is just beautiful...You my friend do have that magic touch with everything in your beautiful home...as always loved seeing more of it...Loved the idea of the sugar glasses...I will park that one away for fucture use Thanks...Hope all is great on your side of the mountain today..Between power going off and on here and down with a cold, I haven't blog much the past 2 days...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your table setting are very pretty. I think chili night is a great idea and sound like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This just looks like tons of fun -- and a wonderful time for everyone of all ages -- I love how you've made each table special and the battery candles on the children's table is so special for them -- you just thought of everything -- what a wonderful hostess!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Well first, how nice of your DH! I would enjoy girls' night. I did more of that when my kids were still at home. I love the sugar-coated glasses. How fun! And the candles look so pretty all dressed up for the season.
Brenda

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

I super love the centerpiece--his mouth open and all aglow!!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oh, this is all really neat! Great job! Chili sounds good too!

I like that jack-o-lantern with the big smile, looks like he's laughing!

Katherine

Rettabug said...

Sounds like you're going to have a housefull....and you'll be loving it, too, huh? Those are the best times together with friends & family.
Your tables will make them all feel welcome & special. You put a lot of thought into each one & it shows.

There is a tradition of making "Goblin Stew" right before Halloween in our family. Same fun gathering....Enjoy yours!

♥ Rettabug

Kathleen said...

Very nice, Sandy.
I bet they all had a wonderful time!
What fun you provided for them!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love the way you have made all the place settings so special to everyone, even the children, love the orange sugared glass...I just love Chilli night...

Cynthia said...

Your table is so warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE that rooster bowl!!! Pretty table!

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Very nice! I like all of the tables. I know you will all have a fabulous time!

Christi @ A Southern Life

The Fajdich Times said...

Soooooooooo beautiful:) Very nice post:)

Tootsie said...

what a wonderful table!!! it is just beautiful!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a fun idea to have a Chili night with the girls and all the kids. All three of your tables are just so pretty and fun. I love the centerpieces you created, and all three tables have such beautiful dishes. Great idea and what super inspiration for a fun evening. Thanks also for stopping by and leaving such kind comments. I really do appreciate it. Hugs, Marty

Dining Delight said...

What a great idea to have a Chili night and you have made it even more special with your three fabulous tablescapes for the guests! I like the warm colours you've chosen and the fun accessories like the rooster. Makes me want to do a fall Chili night at our house!

DD

Bill said...

Hi Sandy,
You did a great job with these tables ... so many decorative and thoughtful touches!

It's a cool rainy day here, and I was thinking I'd make chili for dinner tonight. After seeing your post, I definitely will. Thanks for the inspiration!

Bill

Sharlotte said...

LOVE the tradtions! Your tables are just too cute! You did such a great job tying everything together. I LOVED the sugared rims for the little ones! Everything was just PERFECT for the season! Thanks for sharing!