Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Heart of the Home

It's finally here!!
I am so excited to see all those wonderful
"Heart of the Home"
spaces. But first, a huge "Thank You" to
Shelia at "Note Songs".
Be sure to make a stop and see all the wonderful
spaces and ideals waiting for you there!
Now over the last year, I'm  sure you have saw my
kitchen far toooo many times, but here we go again!
The kitchen had been remodeled when we bought the
house, so most of what you are seeing was already here!
I did add the pot rack over the island and stained it
black. I added the black refrigerator last year and have
added a few other little changes along the way and I
will tell you as we see them.
I am very fortunate to have LOTS of cabinets and
counter space!



This is our gathering space, the first place we go
everyday, and anyone who visits ends up here as
well.


The eating area of the kitchen.
This is a great space, I can get six people around
this old table!

My faux fireplace that you saw a couple of weeks
ago!

This a little corner that was already here and needed
a little face lift. The shelf was open, Hubby made the
door and we added the screen, knob is from Hobby Lobby.

These were solid doors, I had the glass put in a
couple of years ago.
The other side of the kitchen. More great counter
space!
This was pretty much a useless shelf, so Hubby put the
spindle up there, left over from another project, a little
black paint and it became a handy little plate rack.
We added the cup hooks, and......

We can easily grab one for tea or coffee!


This is a view coming in my back door!
If you turn completely around and look in the other
direction, you will see what I guess is suppose to be
a mud room. But as you know, I can never leave
anything alone, so now it serves as a mudroom/pantry.
Extra storage for dishes and large pots!




There was also a coat closet in this little room, which
I turned into a food pantry, for those heavy canned
items, I don't want to put in the kitchen cabinet pantry.
Hubby put in a few shelves and we worked the space
 from there.
I also added a smaller microwave, this is great
even though I have a large one over my oven, helps with
the overflow, when we have lots of people over.
These are recycled baskets and great for keeping
vegetables.
We also added a small refrigerator, once again great for
extra drinks.


Well I hope I didn't bore you to much.
Thanks for visiting,
Bye For Now,




23 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Sandy, how beautiful & inviting. I love your colors so rich & warm.
Have a wonderful week ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your kitchen. It is absolutely gorgeous and so warm and inviting. Such an inviting area.

Thanks for your gracious commnets about my kitchen. You asked about the paste wax. If you just google dark paste wax you will find tons of colors and brands. I think the one I used was Brie. I picked the darkest shade I could find. I bought mine at Razmataz if you have one of those in your area. If not just order on line. One major note is to try it on the inside of a door first to make sure you like what it does and to get the hang of how to use it. Don't let it sit too long before you wipe it off and be sure to rub it on with the grain of the wood. You do have to use a lot of elbow grease to buff it to a shine,but I love the results and it has stayed this way now for 4 yrs. So well worth the work. Hope that helps. Hugs, Marty

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love your kitchen! Looked at your pictures, looked up at mine and thought - I need some major help here. :D

Allison Shops said...

Your kitchen is great. I really like the cabinets. I hope you'll drop by Atticmag to see our kitchens - it's a three for one!

Allison
Atticmag

SmilingSally said...

Hi Sandy,

I love your kitchen, but I am jealous! Your husband BUILDS things? WOW!

Check out my book giveaways.

shannon i olson said...

you have some wonderful little spaces there! You really do have space..how nice..mine is very depleted. I really like the triple crock pot, do you like yours and do you use it often?

Olive said...

Beautiful. I love a large kitchen with good storage.

Debbiedoos said...

How Pretty Sandy....I love the little baskets with the potatoes in them..really neat. You have a very warm and inviting kitchen.

KimMalk said...

You kitchen looks so nice, spacious and organized. Your pot rack is amazing, and the plate rack trim your husband added is a wonderful display spot.

Carolyn said...

Sandy, your kitchen is wonderful...very warm & inviting! I love all your little vignettes and I love the little black rooster! :D

Hugs, Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy! Oh, your kitchen is gorgeous! How warm and cozy and so many special touches you have!! You should be very proud of it! How wonderful too that your hubby can built what you want!! I love your pot rack too!
Thank you so much, Sandy, for coming to my party!
Your are a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

You do have a wonderful spacious kitchen! I am so jealous of all the cabinet and counter space! :) And I love that pot rack too. Very lovely!

~Liz

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

You have a wonderful kitchen. Very warm and inviting. Your vignettes are very nice. I also like your potrack. Great space to spend time in. Linda

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

So many beautiful things to look at. Amazing!!

The Blackwood Cottage said...

So warm and inviting! Very cute kitchen...fun music too!
machelle

The Decorative Dreamer said...

What a great kitchen! I love that little shelf in the corner that you enhanced with the glass shelves! Little things like that always catch my eye. I also love the fireplace. It is a dream of mine to one day have a big beautiful stone fireplace with a small sitting area in a kitchen. Please note I said, "Dream". LOL! You have such a warm and inviting kitchen, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely, lovely kitchen and that floor!!! Sigh....

Nanette said...

Your kitchen is beautiful. You do have a lot of counter space. I like the pot rack you added. Thank you for letting us into your kitchen!
Valerie

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is pretty and oh so organized! What inspiration!

All That Glitters said...

Beautiful warm kitchen!

Take care!
~Jennifer

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I immediately felt the warm and cozy ambiance of your kitchen ~ so inviting! You have added so many little vignettes that are not only sweet but also make life in the kitchen easier. Lots of great ideas!

So nice stopping by!
Kindly, ldh

Anita Diaz said...

You have a beautiful kitchen that looks like the perfect place for family and friends! I love it all, especially the plate rack your husband made. Beautiful!!

Tootsie said...

what a great kitchen!! I have that rooster...or should I say did...someone I used to know 'borrowed him'...lol
Your kitchen is a warm, comfortable and very inviting space!!! thanks for the tour!