Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Black and White Redo Continued

Please be sure to stop by Susan's at Between
Naps On The Porch and Rhoda at Southern
Hospitality for great inspiration. Thanks
Rhoda and Susan for hosting these events.
Well my mini vacation is over and it's time to get back to
my projects.
I found this lamp on my mini vacation for $3.00 and
thought it would work well in this room. Not bad, but I
will have to see, once I have everything in place. I know
I said black and white, and you can see red peaking out.
I couldn't resist! Wait until next week!!!!!!!
This little table was something I did before I started this
blog. It's a marriage, the legs were found at the thrift
store for $1.00 and I bought the little round top at
Lowe's. I stained everything after we put it together,
then once I started with my black and white, decided
to use the ole black paint on her. I Don't have a before,
like I said, this was before my little blog.
Here she is now holding some fresh flowers in her new
home. The mirror above is an auction find. I know it
probably looks bad to allot of you, but I like the dark
spots in it. Makes you wonder what has it saw in it's
100+ years. The frame around it is wood.
Now you will have to come back next week to see where
this five and a half yards of fabric will be. A thrift
store find for $1.00, yes I said upholstery material, five
and a half yards for $1.00
Now for the big project of the week.
Remember this picture I posted several weeks ago?
This is a wall DH and I built out of rock.
Much to plain and boring, soooo.....
Here she is now!!!!! The mantle is chestnut and is from an old barn. The iron brackets that are holding it up came from Hobby Lobby on sale for $3.00 each, regular price was $14.99 each. They were white, but a little black paint took care of that problem in a flash. As you have noticed I have used several mirrors in this room. The reason being this is a basement family room. We are lucky enough to have two windows but the room still tends to be very dark. You will see another mirror on the piano next week, which allows the light to bounce off four walls, and does make the room appear to have more light than it does. I hope you will join me again for the final installment of my Black and White Redo. I still have tons of work to do. In fact just taking pictures has been sum what challenging, you see there are still two sofas in this room, one I hope will be leaving this week. This is a project I have been slowly working on for some time, that is the reason there are no before pictures of some of the projects. I will see everyone at the Feathered Friends Party at Shabby Chic Cottage. I have a new little pretty I will be showing.

9 comments:

Shirley said...

I really like your little lamp you found!! OK, My fireplace is similar with the big rocks. I'd like a mantle but have no idea how to connect it. What did you do to drill through the rocks or mortar?

Signing Out said...

Love the table! I can't believe you made it out of two items, and it looks great painted black! And, your fireplace looks fantastic!

Jane

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Great projects!!! I love your fireplace and mantle!!!

Bill said...

Hi Sandy,
Wonderful post! You were very clever to "marry" the legs with a new round tabletop, and that mantle project turned out great!

You're "dangerous" with a can of black paint! Kidding ... it all turned out beautifully!

You asked if I soak old silver before polishing. I don't ... I've read that it's a good idea, but I skip that step. Maybe I'll start. Thanks for reminding me. I believe I've read that it's a good idea to soak it in Tide (not sure why that brand ...).

Hope your week goes well!

bill

Michelle said...

That table looks great with the mirror above it. And...I love the ladder back chair by your fireplace.

Anonymous said...

Love your new little lamp! Your mantle looks great and that fireplace is gorgeous!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Barb said...

Hi Sandy, your mantel is great. We have a huge field rock fireplace and attaching the mantel was a job!
Wonderful!

Barb

Kammy said...

So pretty !!!! I love the mantle and that stone - it is to die for ! Your home is getting prettier and prettier !
HUgs ~ Kammy

Anonymous said...

That mantle looks great! A wonderful addition to your fireplace.