Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Monday, January 6, 2014

A Farmhouse Master Bedroom


Well here it is the somewhat finished master bedroom. I still have a few pictures to hang and a few other things to add (after I find them), but for now it's a place to sleep. The only expense to this redo was a can of walnut stain for the floor, everything else I already had.


Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 016

Now I know there are no elaborate bed linens and matching drapes, pillows piled high on the bed but I would imagine something as simple as this quilt may have been the lady of the house pride and joy and she would have been very proud to have it on her bed. Just simple white panels and a red and white valance will do. A different lamp and shade, when I find one is in the future.

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 017

And Miss Kizzy will be the model of the day. The wardrobe was a curbside find a few years ago. Question how long does it take two women to load a wardrobe in a truck? Less then tree minutes.

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 018

The talent show!

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 019

The mirrored chest I bought last summer. I had to add the panels on the bottom of the window for privacy since we live on main street.

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 023


Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 022

Now we can enjoy this large bathroom rather than trying to use the smaller original bath in the house.

House pictures 2013 4 001

A good place for a soak after all this work. 
Oh, did I mention? Demolition has also started in the kitchen!
What nut starts all this work at one time? That would be me. 
There is logic to my madness!
When you open anything in this house, there is what seems to be ton of dirt. Remember this house was heated with coal and wood back in the day, farm workers were in and out and I'm sure in that time you never took off your shoes to go in the house. Well just lots of old dirt! So I thought since this room was so close to the kitchen I should get all the demolition and dirt over with at one time. We found one amazing thing in the kitchen after removing all that old paneling and when we removed the linoleum, plywood and felt paper off the floor another discovery. So come back!

House pictures 2013 4 004

So stay tuned, lots more to come.
You will surely want to see my post titled Number 6.
Thanks for stopping by,
Sandy

6 comments:

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful dark stained floors!…and the wedding ring quilt pattern is my favorite!…Beautiful room!!

Unknown said...

I love it! ALL of it. The floor, the quilt, the whole calm 'sense' of the bedroom and the bath! Is the bath a newer addition? And the oval glass window, is that original? What a great 'en suite'. I'm a bit envious! Vicki in Louisville KY.

Unknown said...

Vicki, Thanks for all your wonderful comments, The bath is a new addition, actually half the back porch was taken for the bath. The oval window is a new addition. Unfortunately there are no original windows left in the house and only one original hanging light fixture, or so we think. Hope you stop by again. The kitchen is a total disaster, but lots of great finds.

Alison Agnew said...

your bedroom
is so quaint and charming

and that quilt is gorgeous

would love for you to share
at Fridays Unfolded this week!

Alison
Nancherrow

Alison Agnew said...

your bedroom
is so quaint and charming

and that quilt is gorgeous

would love for you to share
at Fridays Unfolded this week!

Alison
Nancherrow

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That quilt is a treasure! A lovely room! :)