Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

No More Green

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! Ours was busy as usual with the kids coming home and all the other things that go along with the holiday season. That said we were still quiet busy working around the house.
If you remember my last post, I said several projects would be going on this year. One was taking up this green carpet and exposing the heart pine. This photo was from the first time I saw the house.

West Nest 2 022

This past Christmas and after the fireplace had been opened. I'm very happy with the fireplace, but not the floor. Since we moved in this room and joining bath have been a guest room.

I Just Want Brick1 004

And after about an hour of pulling up carpet, cutting and hauling it to the garage to be taken away.

Kitchen, Bedroom Renovations 016

Really not that bad for the age of the house. You can see the wear patterns and the white square pieces are where the sink used to be. Just a little patching and that will be fine. Remember this was and still is a farm house, so they would come into the bedroom to wash up after work before dinner. The door leading to the bathroom used to be an outside door, before half the back porch was taken for the bath.

Kitchen, Bedroom Renovations 017

I have to say the worst was, where someone had painted something. There were obvious signs that shelves or a piece of furniture had been painted white on the floor. Drop cloth people!

Kitchen, Bedroom Renovations 012

My new best friend. This stuff is great for those lighter stripping projects. If you have a problem area, you can leave it overnight. So after two days of sanding and dark walnut stain, a little furniture moving. Well that's all I will say for now. You will have to come back tomorrow and see the finished room.
Hint..... It's no longer the guest room.

Kitchen, Bedroom Renovations 014

See you tomorrow,
Sandy
Linking to:
and


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Goodness, that floor is in really good condition. I've been there and uncovered much worse floors, so be grateful yours was this nice. And I cannot wait to see the wonderful floor "after shot."
When we were uncovering floors and walls, it was tough, but some of the most fun we had! Sending you good luck, Vicki in Louisville, KY.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Wow, that's already looking ten times better! We did the same thing in our 1960's ranch home and was pleasantly surprised to find that they used furniture grade cushioning as a carpet pad. It really protected the wood floors, all I had to do was pull staples and sweep. I said a prayer of thanks after that! I can't wait to see the final look...