Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Number 6

 As many of you might remember last summer I gave my kitchen a mini make over. Everything in this room was white, cabinets, old paneling. So I removed four cabinet doors painted the interior black added a few lights and that was good for a little while. Then you may remember in December I started removing the cast iron covers from the fireplaces in the living room, dinning room and one of the bedrooms. Then as you saw yesterday the fireplace was opened in what is now the master bedroom. Now there is an opened fireplace in another bedroom I haven't shown you yet, but I will. It also was just a wood burner and in really great shape when I opened it up. Just allot of dirt and old wood like the rest of the fireplaces. I think someone did the last fire and just closed everything up. But anyway as I said I am addicted to the Rehab Addict. Now if you watch the show she always finds a fireplace chimney in the kitchen. There was nothing visible in the kitchen, but this looked like a reasonable place for it to be. So under the house I go, made the husband go with me I don't like going under houses! Guess what I found? You guessed. The kitchen chimney going through the floor! Now to get rid of that paneling!

Kitchen, Bedroom Renovations 020


 Yes the lady of the house liked blue. So out comes the hammer and the tapping begins, and after three buckets of  old concrete.

Kitchen, Bedroom Renovations 023

 MY BRICK!!!!

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 002

 If you watch the shows, Nicole always talks about gaining space and by doing this we gained four inches.
Two in the front and two on the side.

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 004

We still have a little trim work to do and I still need to seal the bricks, but a girl has to play. A little topiary.

Bedroom and Kitchen Renovations 3 017

A bunch of beautiful Camilla.

Bedroom and Kitchen Renovations 3 019

 Or maybe this simple vignette.
 There is still so much to do, new counter tops, a sink, cabinet doors and the list goes on. But I think my little farm house kitchen is making a grand comeback. Everything we have done to date has been nothing but deconstruction, taking out what was put in the fifties through the nineties. So one more little project off the list and to date this project cost nothing, just allot of time, getting very dirty and being blessed to have the energy to do it.

Bedroom and Kitchen Renovations 3 021

Thanks for visiting, be sure to come back, you know I didn't stop here!
See you soon,
Sandy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I so look forward to your posts and progress, and yes we watch Nicole too, because she does not just 'rehab' old homes, she 'restores' them! Love that you found the chimney! Can't wait to see more. Vicki in Louisville KY.

Nancy said...

Sandy, I love the brick. Oh, it's just so warm and charming. Good job. I am a new follower via GFC. I host a month-long blog party Every Room In The House at A Joyful Cottage. This month we're partying in The Kitchen, and I'd love it if you would come and share this wonderful post. I know it will inspire everyone. Here's the link to the party: http://www.ajoyfulcottage.com/2014/01/every-room-in-house-party-1.html
I hope you'll come. ~ Nancy

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The brick is fabulous…so glad you found that great chimney!

Nancy said...

Hi Sandy! I've featured Number 6 in this month's Every Room In The House party. Thanks for sharing with us, and I hope you'll continue to join in the fun. This month we're partying in The Living Room. Have a great weekend ~ Nancy