Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Not a Blog For Everyone

It's been a long while since I have posted anything on my little plain simple blog. It's plain and simple because that is what I like. Now I know my post are not going to interest everyone, might even seem boring to most?
.
What is this blog to me? Fun! A chance to look back at my life over the past several years and how it's changed. We moved back to South Carolina from the mountains of West Virginia, from a ranch house to a ninety six year old farmhouse with chickens and vegetable garden and lets not forget beautiful weather most of the time. You won't find a different beautifully decorated mantel every week (I'm lucky to have one every six months). I so admire those of you who make so many changes every week in your homes but I know it's really not my strong point.

I say on my header " Diary Of An Old House" and since I have spent quiet a bit of time researching the house the past couple of years, I thought it was time to really start  putting this history of this house in black and white. 

After spending a day at the County Courthouse going through ninety six years of deeds, I narrowed the house appearing on the lot in January 1 of 1920. I have spoken to several people in town and no one seems to know who built the house or when it was built. I have been told by one member of the community it was moved here. I have also spent several hours in the Historical Society, and they seem to think it might be the case, due to the building materials used. Where the house came from I may never know although I will keep trying to find out. I have been lucky enough to get a few old photographs of the house which I will post as well as a couple photos of Mary and John, we think the original builder of the house.

Now in my mind 1920 was an up and coming time, you know automobiles, flappers, women given the right to vote, etc.! While at the Historical Society I was lucky enough to find a journal written by Mary and John's Granddaughter remembering her time in this house. I have to say I was amazed at the rules, customs whatever you want to call them the family still practiced. Mary grew up in a planter family and it seems those rules were still in place in this house. I must say, I feel very blessed to live in a house where two people saw so many changes, lived. Both Mary and John's Fathers were lost in in the war, John's Father in 1863 and Mary's in 1864. So here we go on the, "Diary Of An Old House", follow along and I will tell you about some of the rules or customs in up coming post.

This is one of the only early photos I have been able to get my hands on so far, but I just know there are older ones out there. This was taken in the early 70's and you can see the original brick pillars still showing. Porch looks like it might need a little work, but it always does, even now! There were two other houses beside this house facing Main Street or Charleston Hwy. Each house had a plot of land for a garden, and a barn for a cow and chickens. Our barn was turned into a two car garage but you can still see the remnants of the barn structure. Sadly this is the only house still standing on this block, the others have all been torn down.


The early nineties, the ole girl is looking much better!


2014
I hope to be able to replace the windows in the dormer one day, there was a total of three. We think the middle window may have been stained glass I do know the two side windows were small three over three, we rescued them from the attic and used them in the kitchen remodel. They were so deteriorated and fragile they would not stand up to the weather. 


I introduce you to "Mary"
and her husband... 


A man and his dog.
John was a very successful business man, he was a Insurance Recorder in Charleston in 1900 and in 1910 Mayor of this town. He and Mary owned three business in town a grocery store, meat market, and dry goods store which Mary ran. 
I hope you join me tomorrow for a sneak peak at the kitchen, lots of changes have happened there!
Love that chair, wish I could find it in the attic!
 Blessings,
Sandy











3 comments:

Susan said...

Welcome back! I love old homes and their stories, so I can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Unknown said...

Thanks Susan, it has been quiet a journey finding out what little information I have, but who doesn't like a challenge!

Rue said...

Hi Sandy! I'm so glad you found me again :) Your new old home is incredible!

I know what you mean about a plain and simple blog. I'm not a redo your mantle every 5 minutes girl either, but I do like sharing my home and if people want to read it they will and if they don't well then they don't. I for one am glad you came back and I look forward to learning more about your home :)

xo,
rue