Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Pocket Doors

 
 
 
If you have saw my earlier post, you have saw pictures of the pocket doors that lead from the foyer to the living room. These doors are about eight feet tall. See what looks to be handles? I kept looking at them and the more we used them the darker color seemed to wear off. So with brass cleaner and cleaning cloth in hand, I started to polish. Do I see copper? I think I do!  So after they were removed, cleaned and buffed, we found several treasures.
 
 
 
 

 
After the cleaning and buffing. DH took them off, worked on the lock mechanism and we found the original copper handles and the brass door pulls. We were also lucky enough to find the maker of the doors. Seems that he and his son had a shop in downtown Charleston, the maker was born in the 1800's and did allot of work for homes in the Charleston area. This particular style of door was made between 1875 and 1925, which does fit with records we found of the house being built in 1920. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Another treasure was the front door handle and plate. Turns out the door knob is brass and the plate again is copper. After a test we found the exterior is the same. I hope we can get that cleaned and polished this week, as you can imagine there are several layers of paint on the exterior handle. 
 
 
 
 
 
It's amazing the little treasures you can find in an old home if you look hard enough.
  
 
Now I stand corrected, My foyer is not a foyer, it's a receiving hall or grand hall and our living room is not a living room, it's a parlor!
I guess for now it will stay a living room and foyer, works for us.
So" Thanks" for visiting.
Sandy
Joining Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.
 
 
 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...these cleaned up beautifully!!!...I love these old doors!!!

Michele said...

I love seeing your pocket doors and how nice the old hardware looks. Pocket doors are interesting and it surprises me they're not used more often, because they are very handy, too. Thanks for the glimpse of your treasures.

Anonymous said...

Treasures indeed! How wonderful!