Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kitchen Progress



Here is a much better picture of my newest treasure, a French butter crock. For those of you who like me have never heard of this type of butter crock, here is how you use it. Put your room temp butter in the top portion of the container, then you put water in the bottom half, when you add the top to the bottom the water forms a seal and, ta da you have room temp butter when you need it. Changing the water every two to three days, keeps the butter fresh. I am a volunteer at Middleton Plantation and Gardens, one of our potters took a trip to France several years ago, and now she makes these to sale at the plantation.  I have been assured by several people they work great.

Add some French bread, yum yum.

Now onto a tour of what I have accomplished or not accomplished in the last two weeks of being here. My 2nd new refrigerator has been delivered, they scratched the first one and had to bring a new one, my new pot rack has been hung and another box is now off the floor.

As I said before this is a 92 year old house and I'm not really sure what this space should have been other than just part of the center hallway. Now I know what you are thinking GREEN CARPET !
Yes is sure is, just give me time and you will see a difference. The previous owners used this as a family room, I'm using it as a breakfast room. My old farmhouse table and fireplace mantle from my previous house.


See the small table? I put it there for additional workspace, until we come up with a solution for a center island. We like eating at this table better than any place in the house.

Old houses sure do have allot of doors. The one to the right leads to one of the guest bedrooms and bath. There are a total of six interior doors, a set of French doors leading to the foyer and the outside kitchen door in the room.

Door to the left is the pantry, to the right is the dining room, then there is the swinging door to the dining room that is beside the wine rack.



Once again I am not sure what this space is, it has a large shelving unit, cabinets, counter top and a door leading to the dining room. Small butlers pantry, or dish pantry? Oh well for me it will be working great as a home office and the blank wall between the two doors will have wall to wall bookshelves for a small library.

The kitchen is changing daily, so here is today's look.


Linking to Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style.
See you there.
Sandy


1 comment:

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, love love love your home.. your furnishings are so warm and cozy.... hugs ~lynne~