Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's Back

Yes, my fireplace mantle is back. Quiet a change from it's previous look at our rental.
When I bought it I had plans of making a faux fireplace somewhere in our new house, not knowing what we were going to buy and since this baby was only $35.00 it was worth buying and holding onto, which I am famous for, so DH says. She now holds a position on my back porch which I decided to go a little tropical with. I planned on putting it in our outdoor kitchen and eating area but after seeing several photos of back porches with fireplaces, decided to put it here. I also thought this window which is in the guest bath made a great focal point above it. So now onto a few thrift store and yard sale finds.The plate and clock are both church yard sale finds, $3.00 for the pair. The antique baby stroller was a gift from DH, and everything else are things I already had, and most were thrift store and yard sale finds.
My rosemary topiaries that I'm playing with. These were small cuttings from the mother plant.
The net is a Dollar Tree find.

The star fish plates are TJ Maxx finds from a few years back.

A view from the bottom of the steps. The large urns were found at a thrift store a couple of years ago. See the little green lanterns, I'm such a copy cat, I found them a couple of weeks ago at a yard sale ( I know moving and going to yard sales), DH actually spotted them, they were $1.00 apiece, I added tea lights and now my little lanterns  light the steps, on the cheap, who could ask for more than that.

One of my favorite southern decorating books is Savanna Style, and I just loved the sleeping porches that were shown. So here is my version which I'm sure will change many more times. That said, this will work for a while. The day bed is one that DH and I made when our youngest daughter was about 7 or 8. I remember she loved birds, I painted it white and added birdhouses to the ends.
Now its a cozy little place to sit or nap, I hope she has lots of memories about this bed when she comes home.
A little tray table found at an antique store a couple of years ago.

Nap time?
My little lanterns at night.

Thanks for stopping by. Stay tuned, more to come.
Linking to Today's Thrifty Treasures@ Southern Hospitality
Table Top Tuesday@ A Stroll Thru Life
Wow Us Wednesday@ Savvy Southern Style
Sandy






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Loving your mantle and everything on your porch. So inviting. I'm a new follower. Please come by for a visit!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love the fern on the old scooter. Cute.

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Your entire porch is charming and sweet! The mantel is the perfect addition! And you have accessorized it so beautifully! Love the vintage child's stroller!!! :)

Thanks for visiting me and taking the time to leave the kind comment!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Well what a perfect spot. Love your porch, everything is fabulous and such a fun and inviting space. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

must love junk said...

Love the way you've decorated your porch! Found you through Savvy Southern Style and am your newest follower :)
Susan

My Creatively Vintage Life said...

Love your mantle and that tray! Awesome! Your porch makes me want to grab my blankie and a book! Found you via a blog hop and am now a new follower!

Laura said...

Your back porch is so charming and inviting. Love the daybed and the mantle. Your beach, ocean theme is carried throughout your space and is so creative and cohesive. Now just fix yourself a cocktail and enjoy your wonderful outdoor space.