Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Unexpected

It's Thursday and tablescape time.
A huge "Thank You" to Susan at
for hosting this event.
Be sure to stop by Susan's and all
of today's participants for some
wonderful inspiration.
Today's tablescape is unexpected.
Well the Holiday season is upon us and the
madness has began.
Soon the decorating, shopping, baking
and parties will start and we will find it
hard to find a minute to breath.
But before all that madness starts, take
a minute, reflect on this past year.
Think about a special friend that has
been there for you, or maybe that has
been through a rough time. Call up
that friend, for lunch, and when they arrive,
The Unexpected is waiting on them.
A special Thanksgiving lunch!
I have used my pink depression glass today
with Thanksgiving Plates.. I can see all the
shocked faces out there!!!!
The turkey plates I'm using I found at
TJ Maxx, I picked one color from the
plates, which was pink for my unexpected!
My depression glass came from
antique stores, yard sales, estate sales
and some from family members.
I used a pink antique quilt with an
overlay of pink fabric for the table cloth.
The little dish holding the candle belonged to my Great Grandmother and to my knowledge is the only piece of her "Sunday" dishes still in existence. Crystal salt and pepper shakers.
The glasses came from a yard sale years ago.
The desert cups came from an estate sale.
These little bowls as well as the small plates
under came from my husbands family.
Here where the pink came from!!!
I made the pink beaded napkin rings.
The flat ware has been tucked down into
the napkins.
A little wine with lunch!
A final look before we eat!
Well I hope you enjoyed lunch and will
visit again soon. Don't forget to let me
know what you think. I love hearing
from you.
Bye For Now,
Sandy

25 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a special and thoughtful idea and what a gorgeous table. I love the depression glass. I have a few pieces from my mother, and yours are all just stunning. You've tied the napkins so beautifully and I really like the idea of putting the silverware down inside. Very well done, and a very special table. Hugs, Marty

black eyed susans kitchen said...

This is such a lovely table, and the pink is unexpected for Thanksgiving.
Susan

Freda Marie said...

Your table setting is so beautiful. I love the stemware, tableware, it is all so warm and lovely...

Julie said...

I love yor beautiful table... You did a wonderful job...I just love the pink...
Happy Thanksgiving
xoxo
Julie

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Pink is my favorite! I think everything looks perfectly wonderful and I love how you've put this together.

Jeanette said...

Those dessert bowls are stunning! The entire table is beautiful. The pink just pulls the entire table together.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely table you've set! Love your use of the pink depression glass. That's my favorite color. You've thought of everything to make such a pretty table.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sandy, Pink and turkey, who knew? Well... you did! And it looks just beautiful together. Such a lovely surprise. The soft tones in the china look perfect with your treasured pink depression glass. Isn't wonderful to have pieces from our loved ones? You did them proud!
I'm so glad I stopped by to see this unusual and beautiful paring.
Happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
Yvonne

Rettabug said...

Sandy, I sold my pink stemware just like yours when we downsized to move to FL. I sure wish I still had it!!! You didn't by chance, buy it in Ohio, did you? Wouldn't it be funny if you bought mine???!!!! LOL

Your depression glass is just beautiful. I can't wait to do a table with some of my Mom's. I like it on the pink tablecloth & it really does pick up the tones in the turkey plates.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

fondly,
Rettabug

susan said...

An uxexpected color for an unexpected act of kindness--what a great combo! I love your depression glass!

Marigene said...

So pretty in pink!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sandy I just love your Pink depression glass you used and how specail this all looks my friend...Can I come for lunch ha ha!! Love the pink turkey plates...its all just says welcome sit down and enjoy...Many hugs to you my friend....Gl♥ria

Sarah said...

Lovely! The pink depression glass is beautiful with these plates. I like the way you brought more pink with the linens. Thanks for sharing this table. ~ Sarah

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

Oh, I love the addition of pink to your table. It really picks up on the pink hues in your pretty turkey dishes. I really like it! Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. Love those turkey plates. You really put it so well together. You have a very creative eye.

Wanda Lee said...

I have really enjoyed the delicate simplicity and beauty of your tablescape today for Tablescape Thursday!~ I especially love the pinks and the special little touches, like the thoughtful and creative placement of the napkins and the silver ware!

How charming, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cheers and hugs from silken Purse @ The plumed Pen blog

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So pretty and a nice change from all the Fall colors and who doesn't love pink? Beautiful table and hope to visit you again.

Linda

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty! I like how you picked out the pink from the dinnerware. Thanks for coming by my blog and commenting!

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

Very pretty and I enjoyed it so much. I love pink depression glass. (Mine are pink on top and green on the bottom). I love this little table and it is a nice break!

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I love the unexpected... and your pink was wonderful. Thanks

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oh, I love the unexpected! How neat that there is pink on the turkey plates, and you pulled it out with your TT! I thought I was being bold with using yellow! Ha! Glad you did this, love it!

Katherine

Tardevil said...

Love your dishes. I have the turkey plates too, but have never thought of combining pink w/ them! Very pretty. It's nice you have something of your grandmother's too!

Bill said...

Hi Sandy,
If I were going to start a depression glass collection, the color you've used here is where I'd begin. I really think it's subtle and appealing. Your great-grandmother's dish holding the candle must be very special to you.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful collection with us today.
Hope your weekend goes well.

Bill

Natasha in Oz said...

Sandy your table is a visual delight! It so elegant, pretty and welcoming. Wish i could have joined you and sipped wine from those delicate glasses!
Best wishes and Happy Thanksgiving, Natasha.

Anonymous said...

I love pink depression glass! I only have 1 piece that came from my grandmother but I would love to collect it someday.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

mary