Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Old Door Love

Up cycle, recycle whatever terminology you want to use is always a fun thing in my world.
 Here are a few recycled doors, I've played with in past few months.
My recycled barn door, turned I guess, we can call it a wash stand.


Lots of chippy paint, a pretty little towel, fresh eggs.
I remember reading that the children always washed their hands in the pan that was left on the porch before entering the house. When I read that, it brought back memories of my great Grandfather who was a farmer washing up on the porch before coming into the house.
 I guess a common practice before running water in the house.






The next recycled door is the back screen door. found at a salvage store last fall.
We know there were screen doors on both the front and back doors and they were used as air conditioning for the time. On very hot and humid nights both the front and back main doors were opened, blankets placed on the floor and the children were allowed to sleep in the center hall.


The door had screen in the top and bottom, We took the screen out of the bottom, put in a few pieces of bead board from the attic. This is much better for the fur babies, less chance of them pushing the screen out and escaping.


 The battle ship gray floor has been painted over for a more pleasant white floor.


Last but not least, the front door. Not only does it provide a great breeze but also protection for the beveled glass in the door.


See you soon.
Blessing,

3 comments:

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

I could live in a salvage store, old doors are a particular favorite.
Your front door is glorious.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Such a pretty space! Thanks for linking up to the Talk of the Town party!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

I just love old doors! And you did such a great job with them Sandy. The door washstand is really fabulous! I'd love it if you'd share this at Vintage Charm, which is all about vintage, repurposing, and upcycling. The party's on right now. I hope to see you there. Tuula :) http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/2016/02/vintage-charm-19.html/