Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Doors, Doors and More Doors

 
Most of you know old houses have lots of doors. This one is no exception. The house still has part of the original center hall and on the right side there are four doors, three going into bedrooms and the mystery door I will show you today. This is the first door when you come in the back door.
 
  
Opens to this guest room, which I have posted several times. The bathroom I posted, last week is accessed through this room.
 

Moving down the hall....
 


Another small bedroom



And now for the mystery door..  Don't try to open that pretty glass door knob because it doesn't work anymore. But why?


Because of this little hidden room. A tiny little dressing room tucked between the master bedroom and bath.
 
 
  A huge floor to ceiling mirror has been placed over the door. It could be easily removed and the door reopened if needed. I added the chandelier to the room and I have to say it is the brightest room in this old house. I also hung antique hats, scarves and purses on the sides, not allot of room for artwork as you can see. You can see the entrance to the walk in closet and yes even in this small space there are four doors. The walk in closet was originally the door to the middle bedroom.
 

A little bench, if you need to sit for a minute or two.
 


Antique hat boxes.




This my friends is the original bath, small but functional, and I guess 100 years ago this tiny little space would have been very much a luxury. You can see it has been updated, but the original bead board was left as well as all the molding around the window.
 


This was found after the 1950's blue ceramic tile was removed. Amazing it survived.


 
OK, I hoped you enjoyed the tour of the mystery room. What the room was before is still a mystery. Maybe a small hallway to the bath or even a child's nursery. Thanks for stopping by.
Sandy
Linking to Wow Us Wednesday
and
Amaze Me Monday
 
 
 


6 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the way you dressed up the mystery room.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love old houses because of some of their quirky rooms. Love your mystery room. Thanks for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. I would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party. Here is the link if you would like to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-64.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Trisha said...

I have always wanted a hidden room someday and this little dressing room is perfect! Your home looks amazing and so fun. Thanks for sharing!

~Trisha

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a fun mystery room. So many pretties to see. Great hat boxes and furnishings. laurie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

LOVE your mystery room!! Great post!!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Hugs,
Deb

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Sandy,
I really like your house, I looked back at some of your older posts too. Very nice! Thanks so much for visiting my parlor post.
Gina