Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Small Kitchen Project


Seems like the work never ends around here. If you saw any of my earlier posts you will remember this is how one part of my kitchen looked shortly after moving in. A good guess would be that these kitchen cabinets were made in the 50's or 60's if not earlier. I think earlier since they are sitting on three of the old layers of flooring we have been removing and since the linoleum dates back to the forties that we took up, well you get the picture, lots of old stuff. The bones of the cabinets are good, solid wood, the doors not that great although they are solid wood. I hope to get new doors for all the cabinets this winter.
Now on to the face lift....
 
A little better, I think. After taking off three of the doors and painting the interior black, I added the little stick up battery operated lights. I have it decorated all in white for the summer but I can't wait to play with them in the fall and at Christmas.  When we taking up the old flooring we found the original center wall that had been taken down. That would have been on the left side of the screen.

Of course I have to have my rooster tureen!



We also added bead board  around the back splash of the whole kitchen, which made a world of difference 
 
 
 My little lamp is made from my Grandmothers good coffee pot. You know the one they always used just for company. Hubby was kind enough to make into a lamp for me so I could enjoy it everyday, rather than just storing it away.


The little tea kettle was found at an estate sale a few weeks ago. 

 This and a few other goodies came from....
 
A great estate sale, I found several small things. Most of the sale items came from Louisiana, where the couple lived and moved from after Katrina, she told us she did loose some family heirlooms but the house was still packed and this baby is forty two hundred square foot. It's for sale anyone want to be my neighbor?
 
As you can see I also took the door off the cabinet above the oven and painted the whole upper cabinet black, we put shelves in it. I'll show you a better pictures once I have it accessorized a little better. While adding the shelves and covering up the ugly ceiling tiles that had been added at some point, we broke one and what did we see, the original bead board ceiling in perfect condition. Oh why did they lower the ceiling! Sorry for the blurry pictures!
 
 
Ok enough for tonight. Thanks aging for stopping by.
Sandy
Linking to: A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday
 
 


4 comments:

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Sandy, what a great idea to take the cabinet doors off and paint the interiors black, and the little battery lights are a fabulous idea too. The coffee server, turned lamp is such a nice way to put a family heirloom where it will be seen and loved.Oh how I love a great estate sale. Wish I could have been at that one. What a house! I also love your drink server on the end of your counter. laurie

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Gorgeous cabinet....truly gorgeous! I did my cabinets the same way but used dark stain...I haven't added lights but now that I've seen your battery operated ones...I just might!

You did a great job :-)

Christine

chateau chic said...

I really like what you did in your kitchen. Great idea to paint the inside of your cabinets. Looks great!!
Mary Alice

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the cabinets and the battery lights are such a fabulous idea. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty