Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Changes

Welcome to my kitchen, come join me while
I make a few changes! After spending a little
time with me be sure to drop by
and enjoy lots of wonderful ideals, waiting for
you there.
My eat in kitchen has looked like this for the
last few years. So after seeing all the faux
fireplaces out there in blog land, I decided to try
one. My heart always beats a little faster when
I see that wonderful fireplace in Paula's kitchen!
Not that mine will be anything that wonderful and
grand, but I can pretend, can't I??
The old....
My old wooden ironing board I used with my
old farm table. This table has saw better days I'm sure, but I love it!
So in keeping with that rustic look, here is a peak! No mantle yet, just the surround.
A couple of coat hooks from Hobby Lobby
will help hold the mantle in place.
Now all this started from all this great old barn
wood. Worm holes and all!
I have lots!
Well I that's enough of that until next week, and
I hope to be finished with this little project.
I turned the table lengthwise and added another
wooden bench. By turning the table lengthwise,
there will be more room to walk around it. Now with the extra bench, I can seat six at
this table.
I have these oak chairs dressed in a slip cover,
it helps dress the table up a little and creates
quiet a contrast!
Maybe toooo plain????
What do you think?????
Well did anyone see the post from Cote De Texas?
If you did, you saw the beautiful covered benches.
Yes, I copied the ideal to add a little softness!
Of course mine are no where near as glamorous,
as the ones in her post. Be sure to visit and see
that beautiful home!
My little bench covers started life as a bed skirt!
Yes I said bed skirt!! Now let me explain, sometimes
my ideals seen a little strange, I know, but please
remember I live forty five minutes from the
nearest fabric store, Walmart, ect. sooo when I want
to do anything, I have to consider the two hour travel
time, to even get my supplies, hence a vivid
imagination. I saw that the covers in the post
were pleated, remembered a white bed skirt I had
in my stash along with the dark brown material.
Oh my, tooo white. Well lets go take a coffee break!
I let the bed skirt stay in the old coffee for about
twenty minutes and now I ave a great color match
to the chair covers.
Thanks for visiting.
Hope you come back to follow the saga of Changes!
See you at Marty's!!

4 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished project. I would like to put in a faux fireplace here, but there is no place it would work. Not a lot of blank wallspace.
Sorry if this is a duplicate comment - I am having problems leaving comments lately. :(
Enjoy your weekend.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Sandy, this looks fabulous! Love the idea of using the bedskirt for the bench covers. they turned out great, and your rustic fireplace is looking perfect. I think your chair slip covers are wonderful. I can't wait to see the fp all finished. laurie

Becca Bertotti said...

I love the rustic theme you are going for and can't wait to see the finished "faux" fireplace! I really like your slipcovered chairs and bench! *Becca*

Melissa Miller said...

It's a very pretty and welcoming dining room Sandy! Great job on the redo and the table is gorgeous.

Happy Fall! ~Melissa :)