Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Mantel

I'm joining Marty at
for Table Top Tuesday. So be sure to drop by
and visit with everyone.
This is my very unused living room. For years
I have collected books, old musical instruments
in the hopes of one day getting to have my
library/music room. Well I think it is now coming
together. We have lived here four years and I have
gotten the last thirteen boxes of books unpacked. I have
two more shelves to be put in, a little trim and the
room will finally be the the way I envisioned it.
I know most people put shelves on both sides of the
fireplace, but there was no way two shelves would
hold all the books I have. So after allot of searching and
research, I decided to do an entire wall of bookshelves.
I hope to have everything finished and post soon. So onto the mantel. I wanted the whole room to
flow, so after days of placing, then taking away. Taking
photos, looking at my mistakes, this is what I settled
with.
Most of the books here are antiques.
I'm still not satisfied with this yet. I think it
might need something, I'm just not sure what.
Any suggestions?
One of my favorite pillows, The Meeting
Street Inn in Charleston.
Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to let
me know what you think. I love comments
and suggestions. Now I have to get back to
putting books in shelves.
Bye For Now,

15 comments:

Lynn said...

Beautiful! You have a great library/music room right here-can't wait to see the wall of bookshelves, I'll bet it's really neat!

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Sandy, I like your mantel...I think it is very tastefully done with some nice antique books, and the the harp is the perfect touch.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That is a lot of books! I also like your mantel vignette. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the room. I would love to have a room to dedicate to books/hobbies/office space, etc., but it will not happen here.
Have a great week.
Glenda

Anonymous said...

What a lovely mantle! I think the musical instruments are perfect here!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kirsty Girl said...

Oo so pretty! I love it! And I am soo jealous! I have ALWAYS wanted a full wall of books!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I think it is just perfect. Using the musical instruments with the books and the topiaries is so gorgeous. I can't wait to see the wall of books. I know it will be stunning too. Beautiful job on the mantel. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Stacey said...

I love the mantel. I really like the way you incorporated the violin and the harp. Beautiful!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This looks great! I really like the musical instruments with the books!

As for a suggestion, maybe put a little greenery at the bottom like you did at the top, but I think it looks good the way it is!

Where did you find that marvelous pillow?? I want one!!

Katherine

Melissa Miller said...

Sandy your mantel is truly beautiful! It is very charming and welcoming. Good job!

Have a wonderful week.
~Melissa :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a great mantelscape. Your family room looks very cozy.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love the music theme you have going on with your mantel, Sandy! My daughter played the violin and I always loved to hear her play.

Sandra said...

I love the music theme of the mantel with the violin, harp and picture...the old books and greenery finish it off nicely. Great job!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You mantel is beautiful and I love the theme you have going on there. That pillow is just gorgeous!

Manuela

Kathleen said...

Hello, it all looks good to me. I love the look you have created. Love the harp and the way you've rested the violin on the mantel. TFS, Kathleen.

Kathy said...

I love the mantel and how you have everything displayed. What means the most to you? The fireplace? or your Decor? I would guess your answer would be the Decor-you have some great pieces! If I were you I would paint the brick. eeeek did I hear a lot of shouts over this? I know it is hard to do but if you painted the brick the vents would blend in AND best of all your lovely books and musical instruments would just "pop".