Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Monday, August 27, 2012

The Black Hole

 
I've been seeing all the gorgeous Fall decorating going on in blog land and had to start my own decorating. This is the only faux fireplace we have in the house and it's in the kitchen. I made it out of old barn wood given to me by a friend to somewhat match my old farmhouse table in the kitchen.
I also used it in my kitchen at our previous house. So like any fireplace it has the black hole. This is a painting I found years ago at a yard sale, I think I got it for about a $1.00 and it has beautiful colors for fall. I used it for several years and in different places, but never to cover the black hole.
So here she is, lots of orange, golds and browns. Oh the other brown thing you see there is of course is Copper, his nap time.
 
The feather wreath is from Micheal's and everything else on the mantle I have had for years.
The little plates are from a yard sale, the owner had the salad plates, cups and saucers, but no plates but for 10 cents each you can't go wrong. They also have lots of little brown and gold flowers around the edge. This is one of my favorite places in the house. A great little place to sit and have coffee, read or watch a little TV.  A great place for people to sit and talk to you while you cook since it faces the kitchen. This space is part of the original center hall of the house.
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
Thanks for stopping by.
Sandy
Joining A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
and
The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday


5 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love it all, so pretty. The mirror and plates are stunning and your mantel decor is gorgeous. You have done such a lovely job with your fireplace. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sandy,

Your decorated faux fireplace looks wonderful for autumn with your painting. It is fun to move things around to see how they will look. The mirror above looks lovely too. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! Love the entire thing. That is a beautiful wreath and so is your Rooster! Love the plates that surround your mirror!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Katherine said...

It feels like fall! I love that wreath (is it feathers?)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Sandy! I am moving slow toward Fall decorating. I just find it hard to think about doing when it is still so hot out. I think next week though I'll start bringing my bins out. Maybe the psychological effect will make it seem cooler!