Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Number 5

 Well I'm sure you will be glad this is the last one! The last opened fireplace, that is.
This was another guest room as I saw it on my first visit to the house. You can see the bump out next to the fireplace is a walk in closet the previous owner put in, there is another one the other side of the room. It really ruins the size of the room and the only bed that really fits well is a twin. All three bedrooms would have doors leading to the next and those are the doors that were used to make the walk in closets. 


West Nest 2 020

And here it is now. I love to come in here at night and light the candles and just look at the fireplace.

Number 5 009

Number 5 006

You can see a few repairs I had to make as far as the concrete goes. These were wood burning fireplaces and the wood was burned directly on the concrete, which cased the breakdown. The end irons I found at the flea market, I think I paid $10.00 for them.

Number 5 006

No I haven't gotten the mantle put back together after the Christmas decorations came down, so come back tomorrow and I will have the mantle decorated.

Number 5 010


Number 5 001

See you tomorrow at Inspire Me Tuesday
Sandy
Linking to: Amaze Me Monday
and

2 comments:

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Oh my, what an amazing fireplace! It is charming, love the old brick and the end irons. Such a pretty sight with those candles burning in there!
Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY! Can't wait to see more...
Blessings,
Cindy

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's a gorgeous fireplace and it looks lovely lit with the candles!