Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

More Finds In The Kitchen

 Well the kitchen preservation is still going on and the latest find was the original bead board. The lady of the house must have liked blue, if you remember from last week the chimney was painted the same blue, and we found the same blue one more place in the kitchen. You can see the old wood paneling that was on the wall, this started off brown, then was painted white. You will also notice that it is running horizontally rather than vertical the way it is typically installed now. I imagine it was not fun to install this since it is in sections, you can see after every two slates there was another piece attached.

Kitchen and Bedroom Renovations 2 012

The after, I forgot to get a before shot of the entire wall, I was so excited to get the refrigerator out of the middle of the floor

More Kitchen Renovations 002

I painted the whole wall white to start with then decided it was to bland. After looking at it for a day decided since the bead board was running horizontally and it was the original, to highlight it. My next dilemma was I didn't want to get cleaned up and dressed to go to the hardware store so I went to the garage and gathered all my oops sample I have been collecting, you know the little sample paints you can buy when you are not sure of your next paint color and they mix wrong. Well I always buy then for crafts. After mixing then deciding it was too dark after painting the second time, number three was the winner, just enough color, I think.

More Kitchen Renovations 004

The old ...

More Kitchen Renovations 006

The new... We installed this last summer when we put the butlers pantry back. When we took up all the old flooring in the center hall we found the out line of the pantry walls and put the room back in. At that time we had no ideal the old bead board was here until we tied the new wall into the old one. If we had known I might have chosen to run this little short wall horizontally as well. I think I like the contrast, and this matches the back splash we installed.

More Kitchen Renovations 016

More Kitchen Renovations 008

More Kitchen Renovations 014

So there you have it, another discovery in the diary of an old house.
Thanks for stopping by,
See you tomorrow.
Sandy
and

2 comments:

Donna Wilkes said...

What a find - I love the horizontal paneling. great job on the paint choice - it looks great with all the accessories.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Looks great, love the new paint color!