Welcome

Welcome to our old farmhouse. Over the past year I have learned so much history of this house and the people who lived here. Ninety six years of love, loss, hopes and dreams. Preservation continues and there is always a repair to be done. We are trying to be purest in our preservation as much as we possibly can. I hope you follow along and each week I will try to give you a little history of the house as well as the first owners of the house. I've been lucky enough to find a journal from a Granddaughter who talks about the house as well as her Grandparents. So come follow along and learn about this old house as well as the occupants, old and new.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Living Room Mantle


I am so excited about my living room mantle, not so much for the decorations, but because of my new discovery, which you will see in a bit. After two years I unpacked my nut cracker collection and added it to the living room mantle along with what we call the family tree which consist of years of school, cub scout, girl scout and pre school ornaments. It's just a miracle that all the little paper, play dough and other little hand made treasures have survived our moves. Now see the black cast iron cover over the fireplace! Keep it in your mind.

Keeping It Simple 011

 Lots of natural material and a couple little trees in my brass urns.
 
Keeping It Simple 017

This was a photo shortly after we moved in, fireplace covered very snuggly with it's cover, Beautiful detail, but I always wondered what was behind it. Now I knew three of the fireplaces in the house were coal fireplaces, so that gave me a good ideal what the opening should look like!


Door Hardware and Living Room Mantle 017

Here it is all open with a few glowing candles.


Livingroom Fire Place 004

 A little better photo, and as usual in all my excitement I forgot to take a before, but I will be opening the other two, so I promise before photos. Now when I opened this little jewel there was still coal in the grate and a few kindling pieces as well. Who knows how long they have been in here.
 
Livingroom Fire Place 001


Livingroom Fire Place 007

Of course lots of cleaning and a little paint and they are beautiful at least in my eyes!

Livingroom Fire Place 009

 
So stay tuned I have been busy, very busy, other than Christmas decorating. I have more deconstruction from the last sixty years to show. Oh and more Christmas decorating will follow. I know who does demolition as they are decorating for Christmas and before they will have a house full of guest for the town Christmas parade. That would be me!
See you soon,
Sandy
Linking to: Wow Us Wednesday

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely fireplace, I can only imagine how excited you must be. We have an 1890's house also and I loved unearthing our fireplaces. Too much fun! Just found your blog and am looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing. Vicki in Louisville KY.